navbar

Image Map

Friday, October 18, 2013

High Five for Friday + Cowl Pattern Update

Whew, it's been a weird week over here. Nothing in particular, just kind of straight up weird. I go between feeling grumpy and giddy back to grumpy again at the drop of a hat...maybe I'm taking on the personae of the crazy weather? It can't decide what it's doing either.


1.

I've spent a good part of my energy this week on getting a pattern written up for this cowl. I really wanted to get it out by around Wednesday, so that I break this pattern of only posting for H5FF, but the pdf-making-and-embedding gods were not on the same page as me. It should be done soon and up for use by next week. I've never written out a pattern before -- not for other people to read, anyway -- and converting it from my knitting shorthand to something vaguely understandable was quite a fun challenge! Except for when the math came in. I don't mind doing math while knitting...I can do it under pressure and when I'm not thinking about the fact that it's math. It's when the math becomes its own entity and people are going to be looking at the results of it it that it becomes very daunting!

2.

 I went to the doctor last Friday and I have to say it was a disappointment -- but not in the sense that I've had before. I think it is very difficult to learn how to communicate with a doctor in a long-range relationship, rather than an illness-to-illness basis. I do, however, love going to the neighborhood in Cincinnati where the doctor's office is. We got there with plenty of time to hang out in this adorably autumnally decked out park while we tried to plan the visit. It's so nice and so important to find those moments of fun and exhalation when doing something unpleasant.

3.

This arrangement of fall flowers in a cafe made me very, very happy. I'm one of those people that has a "fall" board on pinterest and has repinned a hundred different cuted-up versions of the Anne of Green Gables quote "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers". It's one of those things that Anne says and people disregard as weird or odd, but it's so very important to love those little things in life. Or, in the case of October, those things that are so big and present that we often overlook them.

4.


While my feelings on Cincinnati are still fairly muddled, one of the things that I do love about the city are the old buildings. Oregon (and the west coast in general) is pretty limited when it comes to things older than 1920. I love hanging out in Rohs Street Cafe, even though it's just a little too far to get to on a regular basis. It's old and it's cute, and it makes coffee and tea to the exacting standards of this PNW girl. Plus, the muffins are homemade.

5. I'm starting to realize that I spent the majority of my week in various coffee shops. I guess that means that fall is really here! This week's other primary struggle has been that of heating. We don't, ahem, actually know how our heating system works. Radiators are not much of a thing on the west coast, and I'll be honest, they scare me. We spent the night last night freaking out about them, and accidentally turning them on (which of course led to more freaking out). So I'm sitting here, just a little too cold, bundled in blankets and wondering if the apartment will explode if I attempt to heat it. I plan on sidestepping this issue by you
guessed it  heading out to go get some tea from across the street. 


 Linking up again with Lauren for a High Five for Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...