navbar

Image Map

Monday, April 22, 2013

Sewing Days: I got sunshine in a skirt!

I made that!

I made my first real skirt from a real pattern. This is from Simplicity 1717, an Amazing Fit pattern. I bit off way more than I could chew, but I chewed it anyway.

I followed a sewalong  tutorial hosted by the fabulous Mimi G. Even though her tutorial was for a much more basic pattern (that I should have followed but, you know, didn't) I was able to learn a lot about basic pattern use. The skirt fits just the tiniest bit funny, and I stopped following the tutorial and told myself that I could figure out how to finish the lining, so that turned out a bit wonky too. This pattern probably would take a normal sewist about 2 hours to complete. It took me a little over a month, between bouts of fibro pain and exhaustion and possibly more excruciating bouts of seam ripping. I am so proud of this little skirt, and when I wore it out the other day, received compliments on it from people I didn't even know! So I guess that's definitely a win. I already have more fabric to make a few more of this same pattern!


P.S. I'm working on taking better pictures. Hopefully living in a place that has natural light that isn't consistently filtered dirty grey will help.

2 comments:

  1. I love the color of this skirt. Is it wool? I've made this pattern several times and I just don't get sick of it. So glad to find your blog. Keep sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for stopping by! I bought the fabric at a thrift store, and after much debate between my mother, my grandmother and I, we have settled on it being: linen-ish. It doesn't feel like a blend really, but it is fairly heavy and it doesn't really wrinkle. But now I want to make one in wool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...